Cisco AnyConnect (VPN) – Installation & Usage Instructions (Windows)
This article will demonstrate how to install and use Cisco AnyConnect VPN, which is required to access certain shared drives or services required by Deakin.
|Cisco AnyConnect automatically disconnects after a continuous period of inactivity, or if your computer is turned off/sleeps. You will need to re-log in to reconnect to required services.
|If you're installing for a Deakin-managed Windows PC, you simply need to search for Cisco AnyConnect in the Software Center application.
- First, please visit the Deakin Software Library and search for 'Cisco AnyConnect'.
Otherwise, you can use the Categories sidebar and navigate to 'Connectivity Tools' > 'Mobile Apps' > 'Cisco AnyConnect'.
- On the Cisco AnyConnect page, scroll down to 'Download Cisco AnyConnect for Windows, Mac and Linux', and select it.
- You'll be prompted with a number of options. Select 'Download for Windows' beneath the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client. This will typically be the first option.
- You will be prompted with a pop-up window confirming how you wish to continue.
Check 'Save File' and select 'OK' to continue.
- Once the file has finished downloading, navigate to your Downloads folder.
Locate the zipped folder (typically named CiscoAnyConnect4.6-BYOD.zip), right-click on it and extract it.
- Once the file has extracted, enter the newly created folder by the same name (Not the .zip folder from before).
Locate the 'Install Deakin VPN.cmd' file, right-click on it, and select 'Run as administrator'.
- Depending on your PC's security policies, you may be prompted with a blue window warning you that the file was blocked.
Select 'More Info', then select 'Run anyway'.
- Cisco AnyConnect will automatically install itself and begin to run once it has completed.
Using Cisco AnyConnect
- Whenever your log into your computer, Cisco AnyConnect will automatically be docked in your active apps. This is visible on the far-right side of your Start Bar.
If it's not open, navigate to your Start Menu, search for, and open, Cisco AnyConnect Security Mobility Client.
- In the window that opens up, you will be prompted with a drop-down menu with which service you'd like to connect to. Select the option you need, then select "Connect".
For Unencrypted access (Use when using a "Trusted" Wi-Fi network such as your home Wi-Fi), please use "Deakin VPN Unencrypted Internet".
For Encrypted access (Use when on public Wi-Fi, or working overseas), please use "Deakin VPN Encrypted Internet".
- A pop-up window will appear. Enter your Deakin Username, and your Deakin Password.
Note: All Deakin staff and Deakin students are required to use MFA (Multi-factor Authentication) with Duo Mobile. This is what the "Second Password" field represents.
- As a Deakin Staff/Student member, or anyone using MFA with Duo Mobile, you will be required to enter a second password.
Open your Duo Mobile app or prepare your MFA token.
Duo Mobile Users: To approve push notification click approve or to get your second password, click on Refresh Passcode for the Deakin University entry to reveal a 6-digit security code. This will be your Second Password required by Cisco AnyConnect.
MFA Token Users: Press the requestor button to generate a new code. This will be your Second Password required by Cisco AnyConnect.
- Select 'Send Me a Push' and a notification will pop up on your screen to Approve or Reject.
Hit the green tick (Approve)
- If your smartphone does not have Internet connectivity and is not connected to a Wi-Fi network, you can use a One Time Password (OTP).
Select “Enter a Passcode” and enter the generated 6-digit passcode on your phone in the Passcode field.
- If all log-in information is correct, you should log in successfully after a brief period of Cisco AnyConnect loading.
If you need to disconnect, simply click the "Disconnect" button in the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client.
Next time you need to connect to the VPN, please be aware you will be prompted to sign in again.
You do not need to use the VPN if you are on campus or connected to Deakin Wi-Fi. Similarly, the VPN will not connect if you are on campus or connected to Deakin Wi-Fi.