How do I download and install Microsoft Office? (Windows)
Deakin's Office 365 subscription enables Deakin Students and Staff to install the Office 365 suite onto five computers for free whilst enrolled/employed at Deakin. The installation and management (licensing) of the software is controlled through your Deakin Office 365 account.
This software will only be available to use during your active Student enrolment or Staff employment at Deakin University. The software downloaded during this period will expire when your enrolment/employment expires.
Please make sure that any existing Microsoft Office installations are uninstalled from your computer before proceeding with this installation.
- Start at the Office Portal
You'll be prompted with Microsoft's Sign On screen. Enter your Deakin Email Address, then click Next.
If you're prompted to choose between Work or school account and Personal account, choose Work or school account.
At the Deakin Single Sign On panel, enter your Deakin username and password.
- At the Office 365 homepage, click on Install Office.
- Download the setup application.
- If you are prompted to Run or Save the setup. Select Run.
- If you are only prompted to Save the setup, save it to your Downloads folder. Then open your Downloads folder and run the setup app.
Accept the User Account Control prompt.
Microsoft Office 365 installation will commence.
Once installation is complete, click Close on the confirmation window.
- Start one of the Office applications, such as Word. To do so, click Start Menu icon and type in 'Word'.
- If prompted for your email address, enter your Deakin email address in the following format:
Staff: Office may be automatically activated. If not, enter your primary email address
|Entering your personal (non-Deakin) email address will not correctly activate the software.
If you are not prompted to automatically sign in please click File > Account > Sign-In
- At the Deakin Single Sign On panel, enter your Deakin username and password.
- If prompted with the product license agreement, click 'Accept'.
- To confirm the software is activated, start any Office application, and look for your name and Deakin email address in the top right corner of the Document Gallery.
Students: Your name must appear in all uppercase.
Staff: Your name will appear in upper and lowercase based on how it is formatted in the staff directory.
- You can also confirm the activation by logging in to the Office Portal, then clicking your account icon (with your initials) in the top right corner, then View account > Apps & devices > Devices.
- To install Office 365 on another computer, follow the above steps while logged onto the machine you would like to install Office on.
- You can view all your current installations and deactivate any of them from the Devices menu.